National and Regional Competitions
The Langley Camera Club enters competitions hosted by the Canadian Association for Photographic Art (CAPA) and several regional competitions. Many of the competitions we enter as a club are hosted by CAPA, and there are rules are specific to each CAPA competition. Please read CAPA’s rules & guidelines for each competition before preparing your submission.
The club also enters several regional competitions, including:
- North Shore Photographic Challenge
- Lions Gate Celebration of Nature
- Crescent Beach Black and White Print Competition
- Pacific Zone Print Challenge
The required sizing for CAPA is maximum 1400 pixels wide X maximum 1050 pixels high. Other competitions may have different sizing requirements. Visual Pursuits will size your image correctly for each competition, unless the image you submit is smaller than the size required. Your submission may not be accepted if sized incorrectly.
- Files must be in JPEG format.
- Files must be in the sRGB colour space.
- You will submit your image to the club first through the Visual Pursuits competition submission page.
- Maximum submission for the club’s entry is ONE image per maker, PER competition.
- You may only enter as a member of ONE club for each competition. Some people are members of more than one club.
- Images must be submitted by the club’s deadline to be considered.
- Once the club’s submission images have been chosen, the Outside Competitions Coordinator will submit them as our club’s official entry.
If there are any questions, please don’t hesitate to send an email to the Competitions Coordinator
Image Submission Process
- You don’t need to be an individual member of CAPA to participate in our club submissions.
- If you have previously won or placed with an image in a CAPA competition, you may not enter it again.
- For CAPA competitions, you must be prepared to send in your original RAW file should it be requested.
- Submit your image on the club’s Visual Pursuits competition submission page
- No name or watermark is permitted on the front of your image.
- Name your image with your Name plus the image Title separated by a dash (Sally_Brown-The_Wild_Rose.jpg).
For Print Competitions
- Please prepare your prints as outlined in that competition’s specifications
- Label your print on the back, right hand top corner with your name, club, competition, email, phone number and image title.
- Submit a jpeg on the club’s Visual Pursuits competition submission page for viewing purposes during the competition.
- A competition selection committee will judge and score the images submitted for each competition. This is done online in Visual Pursuits.
- There may be more submissions than the entry limit, so please be aware your image may not be selected for the final club entry.
- Each selection committee member scores the images according to the rules of that particular competition
- The Outside Competitions Coordinator will review the scores.
- The top scoring images will comprise the club’s submission.
- After the competition, the host club reports the scores to the Outside Competitions Coordinator who subsequently records and reports them to the Club Statistician.
- If your image is chosen for the club’s submission, the score you receive from the judging at the competition will go towards your Outside Competition Aggregate.
- If your image is not chosen for the club’s submission, you will receive 10 points toward your Outside Competition Aggregate for participating.